John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I am using a MP610, and want to print a document from

Customer Question

I am using a MP610, and want to print a document from OpenOffice 4.1.2. The document prints fine on two pages but I want to print it front and back on one page. I can't fined where to tell the printer or OpenOffice software to do this? When I ask help, it says I need to install a java runtime environment to get the answer. Can you assist.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Firstly, that's a CANON, not a CANNON (though you may feel like shooting it with a CANNON at this point!).

If the printer does not PHYSICALLY offer the option to flip pages over and re-feed them, then you have to do it cleverly.

Print out ONLY THE ODD-NUMBERED pages (1, 3, 5, . . . )

When those are done, they should be stacked so that page 1 is on top of the output tray with the text facing you.

Sort all these pages IN THE OTHER DIRECTION and feed them back into the hopper. Then, ask to print out ONLY THE EVEN-NUMBERED PAGES (2, 4, 6, . . . )

As you can see, this will print page 2 on the back of page 1; page 4 on the back of page 3; etc.

Experiment if you aren't sure how to feed it. If you end up with, say, page 2 on the proper side but upside-down, then you will have learned something. Just look carefully at how the printer feeds the paper.

VERY FEW home printers have the actual capability to turn sheets upside-down and feed them back in. This requires very special electromechanical sensors and servomechanisms.

NOTE: if you have an odd number of pages, the last page will still be in the hopper. For example, if you had 17 pages, then 1/2 will be on one sheet, 3/4 on another, etc., and 15/16 on the last ejected sheet, but 17 will still be in the hopper.

Hope this helps.