John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Where is the Canon Ink Absorber located on the MX860 model

Customer Question

Where is the Canon Ink Absorber located on the MX860 model and can I just buy a new one
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Grab the plastic lid at the middle of the printer and lift upward so the printer's internal compartment is visible. Wait five seconds for the ink carriage to slide over from the right side of the printer.

Locate the square rubber frame at the far right end of the printer that houses the ink absorber. Grip the frame and pull it slightly toward you until it detaches from the printer. Pull the frame to the left and lift it out of the printer. Unplug the printer's power cable

Below steps will help you in cleaning link absorber

Step 1
Fill a large bowl with warm, soapy water and set it aside. Put on the rubber gloves.
Step 2
Open the ink cartridge compartment.
Step 3
Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over, then disconnect the printer's power cord.
Step 4
Look for a black rubber frame under the ink cartridge assembly. This contains the ink absorbing pads.
Step 5
Pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove the ink absorbing pads. The number of pads varies by model.
Step 6
Place the pads in the bowl. Rub and squeeze them to remove the ink. When the water becomes opaque with ink, discard the solution and refill the bowl with more warm, soapy water. Continue this procedure until all ink is removed from the pads.
Step 7
Squeeze the excess water from the pads and place them on a stack of three or four paper towels to dry.
Step 8
Check the pads every hour to determine if they are dry. If the paper towels become saturated, change them out.
Step 9
Place the pads back in the rubber frame when they are completely dry. Reinstall the frame in the printer.
Step 10
Press and hold the "Power" button and reconnect the power cord. When the printer comes on, release the button. Wait five seconds and push the "Power" button again. This resets the printer's internal memory and overrides the "Ink Absorber Full" error code.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The advice was not helpful, appear there are more steps involved in getting to the ink absorber. To have it done would exceed the value, so I ended up replacing the printer for less, newer model.

Do you need my help in getting your amount refund ?