Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Epson Workforce 630. message on LCD. "Scanner Error, Turn

Customer Question

Epson Workforce 630. message on LCD. "Scanner Error, Turn power off and then on again. If the error is not fixed, contact Epson support. I have been using the scanner quite a bit lately and just now, it has decided to do this. I do note that on startup of the printer during it IBIT, the scanner seemms to get hung up and make a repeating clunking sound
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: roughly 5 yeras old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Win 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: on a previous scan, i noticed a smudge on one of the scanned photos, so used a lint free cloth to clean the glass bed, and when i tried to scan again, it would not work
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not working for the last hour or so
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service.

As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scan head/pcb, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.