GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Does not grab the paper causes a jam, canon 450 wifi, pc

Customer Question

does not grab the paper causes a jam
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: canon 450 wifi
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc windows 10 , it
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing it worked great, I thought it was the paper
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: mx450 printer canon
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that after checking on whether the tray is inserted properly, and whether the paper is normal (abnormal paper or paper not designed for the printer, or paper that is unusually damp or dry can possibly cause this sort of error, if rather rarely) and properly loaded, you should consider the paper pickup/feed rollers in the printer to be at fault, if they are possibly aged a bit with extensive use, or if the printer is several years old, or both.

Please tell me which of these is likeliest, and I will advise you further as to what to do to cure the problem. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the printer is relatively new

Then I am not sure what is wrong, and given that I cannot call you and provide Secure Remote Assistance, I feel that I ought to Opt Out of this case, opening it to other Experts in this category.

When another Expert takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email.

(And I can still see your responses and reply to them, as needed.)

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem with your printer. I will do my best to help you with it.

Your Canon printer actually has a built-in utility for cleaning the paper feeder which is the mechanism that picks the paper up and rolls it into the printer. Even though you said that your printer is relatively new, the roller could have picked up dust from the paper that was fed through.

Here are the steps to run the utility.

Cleaning the Paper Feed Roller

If the paper feed roller is dirty or dusty, paper may feed properly.

In this case, clean the paper feed roller. Cleaning will wear out the paper feed roller, so perform this only when necessary.

You need to prepare: three sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper

• Make sure that the power is turned on and remove any paper from the front tray.

• Open the paper output tray.

• Clean the paper feed roller without paper.

(1) Press the Setup button.

The Setup menu screen will appear.

(2) Use the left or right arrow keys on the printer to select Maintenance, then press the OK button.

(3) Use the left or right arrow keys on the printer to select Roller cleaning, then press the OK button.

The paper feed roller will rotate as it is cleaned.

1. Clean the paper feed roller with paper.

(1) Make sure that the paper feed roller has stopped rotating, close the paper output tray, then load three or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the front tray.

(2) Open the output tray extension, open the paper output tray, then extend the paper output support.

(3) Make sure that Roller cleaning is selected, then press the OK button.

The machine starts cleaning. The cleaning will be complete when the paper is ejected.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Before you run the roller cleaning utility, I encourage you to try this:

Let's remove the paper that is the printer. If you have fresh paper that has been in a package let's try using that. Make sure that it is stacked neatly with all edges even before placing it in to the tray. The mechanism that pulls the paper up into the tray is quite sensitive. If the paper is bent or curled at the edges it may think there isn't any in there. Heat and humidity are possible causes of this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

If you still have a problem after trying fresh paper that is dry and flat, and using the roller cleaning utility, please use the link below to request warranty service. Please let them know what you have already tried so you won't have to repeat those steps.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a positive rating.

For your convenience I am providing a link to the user manual for your printer in the hopes that it will be useful to you in the future. Have a great evening!

http://www.manualsprinter.com/manuals/canon/Canon_PIXMA_MP450.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try. Thankd
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

You are most welcome. Please keep me posted with the results.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will use the utility
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me try the utility and I will let you know if it works. No remote assistance until I try the utility. I will call back tomorrow.I
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please ignore the prompts for the Remote Assistance. They are automated. Remote Assistance will not be useful in this case. If the utility does not solve the problem, you will need to request warranty service. Please let them know what you have already tried so you won't have to repeat those steps.