John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Error message Usb printer not available, 2571 lazer 10 years

Customer Question

error message Usb printer not available
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2571 lazer 10 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Window 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sevedrl days
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: light on printer is caution light as well as green light . I have replaced USB cab le and power cord. Also plugged directly into wall outlet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

OKay, so, my initial hunch here is that this 10 year old printer has a failed component, of some sort.

There are SO MANY parts and components in a laser printer, it is VERY VERY difficult to narrow down the actual problem.

And its a good possibility that we wont be able to pin down the exact problem, as these printers are NOT meant to be serviced by customers, so the documentaiton is lacking.

Basically, the initial troubleshooting steps you have already taken......changing USB cables, and eliminating the power strip, is a great start, and there isnt much more beyond this that can be done.

The way they made these is to have the customer do a basic check, and then when the basic troubleshooting steps dont fix it, they dont offer any other steps, and force you to get a technician to repair it.

But seeing how this is 10 years old, they wont work on it. Its a liability to even touch it. I mean these printers are only engineered to last about 3-5 years. Thats the lifecycle, and then the WHOLE unit gets replaced in favor for a newer model.

Thats the world of consumer electronics for you.

So, can you tell me the MAKE and MODEL please? I know you mentioned its a 2571 lazer.......but who is the MAKER? HP, Canon, Epson, Brother......etc etc