Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

My epson WF 2540 is only printing in yellow. I can't get it

Customer Question

My epson WF 2540 is only printing in yellow. I can't get it to print in any other color. I've done the maintanance, print head cleaning and nozzle checks. It prints in black on the head cleaning but prints in yellow on everything else. What is up?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this answer isn't even close to right. In the detail I said the nozzel check was good and that it printed the checks in black. It might have something to do with the allignment. That is the only test that did not print out correctly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already paid $48 for a technician that didn't even come close to the right answer. If you will give me a refund, I will use the securely connect.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi - I'm Russell H.

You get a chance at multiple answers here, before you have to commit to paying for anything.

But, if you want a secure connection or such Additional Service, you will be required to pay more upfront. Such services are special.

I may be able to help you through this difficulty with some discussion of the details of the problem. Are you willing, considering all that, to proceed with my help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure if you are asking me if I want further help on line or if I want secure connect?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like someone else to help me if I have another opportunity before I have to pay for anything.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My printer prints everything in yellow. I have done at least six head cleanings and the nozzle checks print fine in black. The allignment check does not print out correctly. Only #1 box prints out, boxes for #2 through #4 do not print out. Anything I print, photos or documents, print in yellow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I made a photo copy and it came out in black.

No need to secure connect.

We can continue to help you online.

OK, I'll continue to try to get through the problem to a solution.

The only color working on the printer is yellow, I understand that. The black counts as a color strictly but not in common phraseology, and is also working for sure.

Cyan (light blue) and magenta (light purple) are the colors that are missing fire, or not going onto the paper.

The photocopy probably worked because you were photocopying a black/text original.

So far so good.

Do you know how to run a 'Head Cleaning' cycle on your printer, through the Maintenance controls?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have said that I have run six head cleanings and the nozzle check comes out perfect in black
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have said that I have run all the maintenance tools and the only test that does not work is the allignment test
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lets forget this. It isn't working for me. You guys just trade me off and don't read the notes or replys. I'm just going to ask for a refund.

I did read all that.

How does the alignment test fail?

You may need to switch out, replace, a color cartridge or two.