John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My xerox phaser 6280 says I have a paper jam when there

Customer Question

My xerox phaser 6280 says I have a paper jam when there isn't one. I have taken apart the fuser unit, I have lifted up the transfer roll, I have taken out the paper tray I have opened door A, but nothing.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Xerox is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is a Phaser 6280 purchased in April of 2012
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just since two days ago. My wife printed a file that jammed in the fuser. I removed the paper and reinstalled the fuser. Then the problem began.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Are you sure that there is no piece of paper anywhere in the machine?

Check whether you reinstalled the fuser quite correctly - you might have jammed a paper presence sensor in that region so that it still registers a piece of paper that is no longer there.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can only find one paper presence sensor around the fuser. It is blue and round--about 1/4" in diameter. I repositioned it, wiped off the top surface and reinstalled the fuser unit. I double checked all other places on the paper path but could not find any other sensors, nor is there any paper present. The control panel reads: Jam at exit. Open door A.:

OK, then the paper sensor is at the paper exit.

I presume you have checked for a jammed sensor at the paper exit?

Have you tried this:

- Turn Off the printer.

- Unplug it from the power.

- Leave it that way for at least 20 minutes, to cool off and reset thoroughly.

- Then plug in, turn On, see if the error is cleared.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are there any sensors inside of the fuser assembly?

With, I presume, no change?

Then if so, you may need to remove the fuser again, and carefully look all around its area. Straighten out anything that even *might* be out of place. Look to both sides of the fuser (both sides, in the sense of farther up the paper path, and farther down the paper path where the paper exit would be.)

If the paper was stuck *IN* the fuser, then look into the fuser unit also. See that nothing is jammed up in there, no swinging switch stuck in the wrong position, or jammed back into the fuser and thus *not* swinging freely into the path the paper takes through the fuser, etc.

Be sure when handling the fuser, to let it cool off some first, for five minutes, after turning Off the power and unplugging the printer for safety.

And once examined, replace the fuser in place carefully and correctly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing wrong that I can tell with the fuser. I took it apart (as much as possible) again and checked the roller. No paper.

I don't think there's paper in the printer any more (though even a small scrap could be significant in this sort of case.)

Blow out the fuser, and the exit area, with compressed air, if you can. That might help. Wipe the area, in case dust got on an optical sensor, too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I'm back. I blew out the entire printer with compressed air. I removed the transfer unit and the duplexer. Checked the duplexer jam sensor and nothing wrong there.There doesn't seem like there's anything left to check or clean. What now?

That's bad news. I'm sorry to hear that.

Your printer may have a circuitry error, perhaps induced by both the jam and the removal of the jam by reseating the fuser unit, in one of various possible ways.

Or the error was there all the time and was brought out by some slight stress on the system, is another way of putting it.

That adds up to, the printer will have to be looked over and worked on by a service tech.

Your thoughts on this are welcomed. Perhaps something else might be tried, that you could suggest. ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, but I thank you for your help. I'm thinking that what I have is basically a $400 door stop. Just to take it to the Computer Geeks to look at begins at $100. And if it's a circuitry problem that could cost a couple hundred more to fix. Does this seem like a likely scenario to you?

It's quite possible, unfortunately - unless the printer is still covered by the maker (Xerox's) warranty.

In case another Expert might have some better hope to offer, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category. If and when another one takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email.

Thank you for asking your question here at