Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Windows 10, Brother Control centre will not open, so I

Customer Question

Windows 10, Brother Control centre will not open, so I cannot scan
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother dcpL2540 6 months old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC, Windows 10 recently upgraded from Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I dont know, this is my mother's machine, i said id take a look at it for her
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message?

Was scanning working fine before upgrading to Windows 10?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Please try the following fix:

1. If there is a USB printer cable connected from the printer to the computer, please disconnect the USB printer cable from the computer for now.
  2. Right-click on the Start button (which is the Windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Control Panel.
    ; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window should open.)
  3. Then open Programs / Programs and Features, and uninstall the Brother program for now.
  4. Next, shutdown / restart the computer.
  5. Then open Control Panel again, then open Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers. There, if you still see any Brother printer, then right-click on it and remove it for now and confirm.
  6. Click on the Brother website below:
    http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2540dw_us_as&os=10013&dlid=dlf100994_000&flang=8&type3=11
  7. Then there, click on "Agree to the EULA and Download" at the bottom to download the Brother printer's driver / software.
  8. Once downloading is finished, then open the download file DCP-L2540DW-inst-C1-US... and install it. Follow the on-screen instructions during installation.
  9. Once installation is finished successfully, it should ask you to restart the computer. Then restart the computer, then check printing, then check scanning.

; (Note: If the above website link does not work, please download at the website http://tinyurl.com/zhe96et )

- That should work. But if needed, click on Start (windows logo icon at bottom left of computer's screen), then click on option All apps, then scroll down, then click on Scan, and see if you can use it to scan.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,