Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

When I print pdf multipage files fromt and back, the back

Customer Question

When I print pdf multipage files fromt and back, the back side image is always shifted to left slightly. Its a Konica Minolta 654e MFP.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: konica minolta / bizhub 654e , less than a year
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc, windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has been an issue since we got the machine but have not kept enough data to confirm that happens 100% of time, It has only occurred since we have been limited to printing from PDFs exclusively. In the past I have just compensated by shifting the back page image in the copier software, however, tonight I have received one that is laid out like it has a banner top and bottom and when I apply the shift it seems to apply to everything but these banners, of note in the preview there are no margins at all like it is a bleed document.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess just that I am unsure but feel that this might be two seperate problems as I have nearly always had the second page shift issue, but this is the first time that the correction did not apply to the whole document.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

What you want to check is the binding or gutter or mirror margin in the page settings

This is a specific feature that is designed to have the same margin on the inside of both front and back page to allow you to bind it in a book. That is the margins are the same on the same physical side of the page rather than the same on the left and right as you turn the page over. If you think of yourself punching holes in the right hand margin of the front page so that you can put it in a loose-leaf folder, you will see that the page offset allows you to do that and still see the text on the reverse