Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson WF3640.After replacing a Black non OME

Customer Question

I have an Epson WF3640.After replacing a Black non OME cartridge and also receiving a printer update that I downloaded I now get a 0x69 error message when I try to print. I've tried the remove the ink cartridge and hard turn off by unplugging for 20 min. When it turned on it never asked to put in miss cartridge.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Appox. 2 years, Model C48E
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Muti PCs, one has OS WIndows 7 Other Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just after I replaced an Ink Cartridge and I also Sent an update that cam up on my Laptop the is running OS window 7
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

Non oem cartridges have very high failure rates and so that is the most likely cause of this. You should replace it with a new genuine epson cartridge before proceeding.

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tried The above cleaning, and changing cartridges with no good results. I have no way of checking the circuit board. Giving me multipule choice answers was not what I was looking for. I thought there would be a defined answer to the Code 0x69. It seems to me that you did not give me a defined answer but just quessing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

I am not guessing, there are several possible causes of it, which I defined above, and which are addressed through a systematic diagnostic process.
I certainly don't expect you to test a circuit board, but the conclusion of that failure comes after isolating other causes. This is why I asked you to test the above steps and report back to me.

When you replaced the cartridge again, did you do so with a genuine epson, or another non oem cartridge?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I used new epson cartridges.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Please run through the above steps once more, and if still no change, that would confirm a hardware fault, meaning a bad printhead/board. That can happen as a the result of the non oem cartridges being used if the chip in them is damaged.

At that point, the entire printer must be replaced; as epson heads are not serviceable. Repairing it would run you about $150, while the printer can be replaced with a brand new model with a fresh warranty for half that.

If looking for a replacement, I’d still recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be the most reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/29wF4OP or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Went thru the steps again, no good. Found a replacement WF3640 at Costco so I can still use the new Ink that I just bought.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest, this is still a "current" model, so if you can pick up the same replacement model to utilize the existing inks I would recommend doing so.

They can also refill your ink cartridges at costco, so it is still using the same oem cartridge and won't damage the circuitry, which will keep print costs down.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?