Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

The black ink is not printing on my HP Photosmart 6520, it

Customer Question

the black ink is not printing on my HP Photosmart 6520
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is roughly 4 years old. It is a photosmart 6520 series FCD1BE
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have seen this issue for a couple of months, however i have not been using it my roommates have been
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: when doing the quality check the black square is empty, yet all black text i could read. All Cartridges have been changed, vented, aligned, and the printer head has been cleaned.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any Answers?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Please give me a few moments to type a response.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.