John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I Have a Brother MFC 8460N and it has printing pages since I

Customer Question

I Have a Brother MFC 8460N and it has printing gray pages since I last replaced the printer cartridge/toner.
Today I took out the old cartridge and threw it away and cleaned the printer mechanism very well and put in a new cartridge and now it is printing heavy black and gray pages. It other words, it is worse than it was.
What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there Susan. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I'll do my best to help.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Make sure that you choose the appropriate "media type" in the printer driver or in the product's "Paper Type" menu setting?

In the printer driver:

In the product's "Paper Type" menu setting:

1. Press Menu and the up or down arrows to select General Setup. Press Set or Menu/Set.

2. Press the up or down arrows to select Paper Type. Press Set or Menu/Set.

3. Press the up or down arrows to select Plain, Thin, Thick, Thicker, Transparency or Recycled Paper. Press Set or Menu/Set.

4. Press Stop/Exit.

​What type of paper or you using? Is is a think or rough paper?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

It would also be a good idea to make sure that you have the most recent version of the printer driver and software for this device. Please let me know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

I can then provide a link to the most recent printer driver and/or software.

Here is a link to the user manual for this device that may be helpful to you in the future:

A couple more questions....are you using genuine Brother toner cartridges, and did you shake the cartridge gently before using it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try this right now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will this be on my computer? or on the printer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found it on the printer and I found General Setup. I found Paper Type and I pressed OK. There are two choices under PAPER TYPE: 1. MP Tray and 2. Tray #1.There are no more choices.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

It will be on your computer. You should be able to access it by going to Printers and right clicking on the printer driver. If you don't see it please let me know your operating system and I will provide detailed instructions. Thanks!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

That only tells the printer which tray to use. You'll need to do this on your computer to access paper type choices.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I changed over to the computer and I went to:
1. apple
2. system preferences
3. printers
4. clicked on the BrotherThen there are two choices:
1. open print queue
2. options & suppliesI tried both of them and there is no general setup.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Ok. I will be happy to look up specific instructions for you MAC. Can you tell me please what version of OSX you have on your computer? From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X".

We may need to update your printer driver.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK good.
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I make it wireless? I used to print wirelessly with this same printer. Thanks so much
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

There are two drivers, one for printer and one for scanner. they can found here:

Here is the user manual for your printer., I thought it might be helpful.

Please update the drivers for both and restart both your computer and printer.

Also, scroll through menu settings on the printer itself and see if you can locate PaperType in the main menu.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I downloaded both the printer driver and the scanner driver and now I am going to restart my computer and printer but that will disconnect our dialogue.I found PaperType in the main menu but it didn't have but those two choices. I gather you are telling me that it is likely since I reinstalled the drivers, there should now be more choices under paper type, correct? Will we reconnect?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you can bookmark this page so that you can return to it, or you can check your email to see if there is an email there with a link to allow you to return the question page. I am hoping that there will be more choices, yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just checked the printer "General Setup" again and found the references you cited above: thick, thin, plain, transparency . . . under the second choice of Tray #1.Now what do I do?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am using regular 20# *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is my order # 16619965-207. I still need help - are you there? I have tried all the things you suggested and it didn't work.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry. I just now saw your response. Are you using Genuine Brother toner cartridges. Did you shake it well before use If not, please remove and gently shake and then reinsert it. Let me know if that has any effect.