GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

I have a Canon Pixma MX479 printer and it is jammed and

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma MX479 printer and it is jammed and reads "support code 5100". I thought I removed the full sheet of jammed paper but it still reads the same error code. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

I've had a similar problem on a different model in the past. There is likely still a small piece of paper in the printer. The trick that worked for me was feeding a heavy piece of cardstock through the document feeder. I gently "helped" it to start feeding, and it pushed the little piece of paper all the way through, clearing the jam. Even if it doesn't push yours all the way through, it may push it just far enough to allow you to grab it with tweezers. You can also try moving it with a toothpick.

If that doesn't work, please try this to fix the problem. Unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper.

Use a compressed air can to blow any paper out.

Then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print.

Please try these troubleshooting steps and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I fixed the problem myself so I do not expect to see any $33 charge on my credit card.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

You'll need to contact Customer Service at***@******.*** for all billing questions. As independent contractor in tech support I do not have access to billing . Thanks! Have a good day!