MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been fixing Printers and copiers for over 30 years.
11519491

My HP 2605 does not print color. It is 4 or 5 years old and

Customer Question

My HP 2605 does not print color.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is 4 or 5 years old and it is an HP 2605dn
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried resetting the ICM, and installing a new driver.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is Windows 7.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Have you tried checking the print driver to make sure its not printing in greyscale?

Also, h ave you tried removing all the toner cartridges, shaking them.. And reinserting them?

Also, you should try calibrating the printer and also printing a cleaning page

Calibrate the printer to align colors

Calibration is a printer function that optimizes print quality.

Follow these steps if you experience print quality problems such as misaligned color, colored shadows, blurry graphics or other print quality issues.

1. On the printer’s control panel, press the Setup button.

2. Press the right arrow () until display reads System Setup, and then press Select.

3. Press the right arrow () to highlight Print Quality, and then press Select.

4. Press the right arrow () to highlight Calibrate Color, and then press Select.

5. Press the right arrow () to highlight Calibrate Now, and then press Select.

6. Press Select to confirm Calibrate Now.

A Calibrating message will appear on the printer control panel display. The calibration process takes a few minutes to complete. Do not turn the printer off until the calibration process has finished.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, see the next solution.

top

Print a cleaning page

During the printing process, paper, toner, and dust particles can accumulate inside the printer and can cause print quality issues such as toner specks or spatter, smears, streaks, lines or repeating marks.

Follow these steps to clean the printer’s paper path.

Please b e methodical and try each step, and let me know if this helps or not.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

2. Press the right arrow () to highlight Service, and then press OK.

3. Press the right arrow () to highlight Cleaning Mode, and then press OK.

4. When prompted, load copier-grade paper (not bond, heavy, or rough paper), and then press OK.

A CLEANING message appears on the printer control panel display while the cleaning is taking place. The cleaning process takes a few minutes to complete. Do not turn the printer off until the cleaning process has finished.

A page will be printed when the task is complete. Discard the page.

You might need to repeat the cleaning process to thoroughly clean the printer. Print a few more pages to see if the problem is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have printed a config page and it prints in color. I have also printed a photo using Windows Explorer and that is fine. But other things will only print Band W
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

tried to accept your secure remote request, it said payment failed on this end. This sometimes happens if your bank or credit card blocks the transaction. A quick call to your bank or credit card can usually lift that block.

In the meantime, we can either work through the steps above via written support, And I can send you the offer again so you can approve it when you are ready.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let's try to work it out this way.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Allright, if you encounter any issues completing the steps I mentioned above, let me know.

On a side note, since you said it prints color through windows explorer and also the config page.. Then We may want to focus on the other programs you are u sing when it doesnt print color. Such as, whats the name of the programs that wont print color?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had already calibrated the printer before I contacted you.It does not print color in any other program - Word, Excel, Firefox,etc.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

The office programs have something in common, as far as firefox.. When you print in firefox and if you click print preview..

make sure that its not set to greyscale by checking the print options when you click print. Most likely, whats happening here is firefox and the office programs are set to greyscale printing, and those settings are over riding the print driver.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know what cured it, but it seems to be printing color now. Maybe something I did earlier just took effect.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Glad to hear its working. If anything else comes up, let me know.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this one likely had a clog in the print head as they will get sometimes especially if they sat for a while unused.

If it happens again you can replace the print head easily. If you would like more info on that please drop me a line;-)

Thank you and have a great day!

Please rate kindly so I can close this out for you;-)

Sincerely

Tech Michael