Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

Trying to install brother printer scanner and unable as my

Customer Question

trying to install brother printer scanner and unable as my mac needs to be upgraded to 10.7 or 10.11 to work.. how do i do that
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using now ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac to see the current version number

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The latest OS X is 10.11 El Capitan. Upgrading to El Capitan will make it compatible with all the printers out there including your Brother printer. You have to be in atleast OS X 10.6.8 and your Mac must meet some requirements (hardware) to install the update. If you are anything lower than 10.6.8, please let me know as the instructions are different to upgrade.

If you are 10.6.8 or later, then follow the steps below to upgrade the OS X if your Mac support it.

Click on the Apple icon and App Store. This will bring App Store. Click Updates tab. If your Mac can handle latest OS X, then you will see Mac OS X El Capitan there with FREE UPGRADE button. Click Free Upgrade and enter your Apple ID and password.

This will download the update. It may take a few hours to download. Once the download is completed, it will bring the OS X Installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it. It may take up to 3 hours to install the upgrade.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My MAC is a 10.5 ...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Then the upgrading process is different. I will send you instructions. But first I need to know if your Mac is compatible.

Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. What is the processor and memory listed there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If your processor is an Intel (Core Duo or Core 2 Duo or any Intel) and Memory is more than 1GB, then your Mac can handle 10.6 Snow Leopard atleast. But you can check the system requirements for El Capitan from here --> https://support.apple.com/kb/SP728?locale=en_US

To install latest 10.11 El Capitan (if your Mac supports it), you need to install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard first

To install 10.6 Snow Leopard, you have to buy the Snow Leopard discs. You can't download it from internet. You have to buy it as discs. You can buy it from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

When you get the Snow Leopard discs, just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade the OS X. Then you can also upgrade the OS X to 10.11 El Capitan from Snow Leopard directly for FREE if your Mac supports it .

To get 10.11 El Capitan in Snow Leopard, click on Apple and select App Store. This will open App Store. In App Store, click Updates and you will find El Capitan there. Click Free Upgrade button and this will download El Capitan.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
MAC OS X version 10.5.8 processor 2.8 intel core 2 duo memory 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SdRAM
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Your Mac can handle 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The above instructions can be used to upgrade the OS X.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Tony, Do you have any other questions ? Or do you need any further clarification ?

If so, please feel free to ask and I'm happy to continue to help you until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is all too confusing and time consuming .. so now I have an entire system that does not work properly and no guarantee that even with the disc that the outcome will be any better..
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

10.5.8 Leopard is a 8 year old OS X. It's been outdated many years ago. The latest OS X 10.11 El Capitan

How old is this or when did you purchase this Mac ? If you give me this info, then I will check myself whether your Mac can handle the latest 10.10 El Capitan

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

When did you buy this Mac Tony ? I need this one more info and I can tell whether your Mac can handle the latest OS X or not

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

When did you buy this Mac Tony (year ?) ? I need this one more info and I can tell whether your Mac can handle the latest OS X or not

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
purchased 8/15/08
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Good news is, your Mac can indeed handle latest 10.11 El Capitan. Although 10.11 El Capitan is free, you will not be able to install 10.11 directly from 10.5.8

So you have to buy 10.6 Snow Leopard discs first from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Then put the disc on your Mac, and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade. After upgrading to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, go to Apple > App Store menu (this is a new menu in 10.6 Snow Leopard). Then click on Updates menu and you will find the Mac OS X El Capitan UPGRADE option there. Click FREE UPGRADE button and this will upgrade the OS X to latest version and then you will be able to install your printer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you can't do it from here? I thought everything was downloadable... I am at work now so dont know when I will be able to do this..
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Only 10.7 or later is downloadable. You have to buy 10.6.8 as discs and then you can download the rest of OS X for free

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You can buy 10.6 Snow Leopard discs from here --> http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You can't download 10.6 from online. It must be installed from disc. Once you upgraded to 10.6.8, then you have to do one more upgrade to 10.11 El Capitan. This one is downloadable and you can do it from Apple menu > App Store > Updates.

Once you installed 10.11 El Capitan, you will be able to install your printer and any apps.