Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I had a new Telstra Gateway Modem installed yesterday and my

Customer Question

Hi, I had a new Telstra Gateway Modem installed yesterday and my printer which is a Brother MFC-990CW will not communicate with my computer. It is working if I just print from itself but I cannot activate the printer from my computer or from my printer to my computer, I have phone Telstra but they have asked my to contact you.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: I am sorry I don't understand it is thwe printer that is not working.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None really other than to test both the printer and the computer, both seem to be ok.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Have you tried the network / wireless / WLAN / wi-fi setup menu on the printer's screen?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

And/or what's the brand / model of your computer?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

It looks like you are away. Since I do not know your computer model yet, let me provide a general solution for now:

- On the printer, please do the following:

1. Press Menu button on printer.
  2. Select option Network.
  3. Select option WLAN.
  4. Select option Setup Wizard
  5. If the message "Switch Network interface to wireless?" appears, press Yes to accept.
  6. Select your SSID (network name), and connect.
    Note: Check at the back / bottom of your Telstra gateway modem device for the wireless network name (SSID) and password ***** key / passphrase (and security / encryption type) there; it is case-sensitive.
    - If needed, please click on the website below for full instructions / illustrations:
    http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=mfc990cw_all&ftype3=2041&faqid=faq00002794_012
    ; Note: there, only read STEP I and STEP II.
  7. If done successfully, then check printing.

- If there is still any issue, please let me know if there is any error or message, or if you are stuck at any step. And please let me know if you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,