John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Windows10 64-bit laptop and a Brother MFC-786ODW

Customer Question

I have a Windows10 64-bit laptop and a Brother MFC-786ODW all-in-one printer that I am trying to connect by USB cable. I downloaded the driver & software pack from Brother.com and ran the installation process. I get to the "Plug in the USB cable" step, but when I plug in the cable nothing happens. The printer is turned on, the computer is on, but nothing happens. How do i get the laptop and printer to communicate?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Can you tell me, which version of Windows is installed in your PC ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It hasn't changed since I posted the question: "Windows10 64-bit"
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, I missed that part, the problem you are facing can be caused by either defective USB cable or corrupt USB driver, is this a brand new printer or you are trying to install it for Windows 10 ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's new to me, but my aunt has been using it with no problem. (And I use the USB port it's plugged into on my laptop on a daily basis)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

Do you have tried to connect the printer with other USB port of the PC ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

OK, then it could be some internal USB drivers which seems to be defective, should I directly connect with your PC and help you to solve the problem or should I give you the steps here ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please give me the steps. (And how would the USB port be working fine for USB / thumb drives if the drivers are defective?)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

oh!, ok so you can use other devices from on those ports, but I said that the USB cable can be defective. Please check the connection of the cable on the printer side, it can be loose or else the cable can be defective, if it is possible to check the printer with any other PC, that will help you to determine if the cable is working or not ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As I mentioned before, it works fine with my aunt's computer. I already unplugged and re-inserted both ends of the cable before ever reaching out to JustAnswer.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

OK, if the printer is currently connected with the PC then, disconnect it and follow the steps below.

Click on the search icon beside start on your PC.

Type Device Manager then, click on Device Manager from the search result.

Device Manager window will open.

Check the device list and let me know, if you see any exclamation mark beside any device name or any "Unknown Device" on that list or not ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No exclamation marks or "Unknown devices"
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

Ok, keep the device manager window open and then, connect the printer to the PC, remember to check the printer that the printer is not in standby mode or sleep mode. After that check the device manager window for any exclamation mark or unknown device.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Never mind -- my wife got the printer working wirelessly.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 months ago.

Ok, so the printer was in wireless mode, but you never mentioned about that and it is not possible for me know that, as I cannot see the printer and we are struggling for the USB connection.