John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I am trying to have my printer hook up to my chromebook,

Customer Question

i am trying to have my printer hook up to my chromebook
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: pixma mg 2520
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i hooked up usb from printer to computer and no device detected comes up
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To what computer did you hook up the USB cable from the Canon printer, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
samung chromebook

OK. You cannot get a printer to work with a Chromebook that way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
whats next

I am researching the model of printer you want to get working... just a minute or two please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

That printer is not a Cloud-ready model.

So, to print to it, it must be hooked up to a computer (not a Chrome computer) that can get it connected to the Cloud through the computer's internet connection.

In other words, the printer, to be printed to from a Chromebook, must be a networkable printer, or else networked through a networked (non-Chrome) computer it is hooked up to.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i had this hooked up to a epson printer a while ago hooked to this computer through cloud print
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

That Canon model you named is not a Cloud-ready printer. It cannot be used by itself with a Chromebook, I'm sorry to have to say.