John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

MY PRINTER IS OFFLINE. HOW DO I FIX IT, HP OFFICEJET PRO

Customer Question

MY PRINTER IS OFFLINE. HOW DO I FIX IT
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HP OFFICEJET PRO 8610 AND LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. iT SAYS PRINTER MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK AND INTERNET FOR THIS FEATURE
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I UNPLUGGED IT AND PUT IT BACK ON
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: NO
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. In order to best help, I'll need to ask a few questions.

I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

How is the printer connected to your computer? Is it connected via wireless or via usb printer cable? Is this a new printer, or its it a printer that you have previously used with your computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
windows 10 64bit.
I use printer cable
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was working. I had it all plugged in. At least that I noticed. Is there hook up from printer to hard drive
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ia there a cable from printer to the hard drive. I see I have a wire on my for telephone on it. I also have a wire on for power.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

I apologize for the delay in my response. I had to step away from the computer for a few minutes. You now have my full attention. I here should be a usb cable with the flat end plugged into the computer and the other end plugged into the printer. There should also be a power cord from the printer to the wall outlet. The phone cord is only needed if you are trying to fax with the printer. If it is connected properly, please turn off the printer, and shut down or restart your computer. When you are logged back into the computer, please turn the printer on. Give it a minute or two to recognize the printer and then check to see if the status is still offline.