John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I replaced a PGBK 250 ink cartridge with a Canon PGBK250

Customer Question

I replaced a PGBK 250 ink cartridge with a Canon PGBK250 cartridge. The computer says that I used the wrong print head. I didn't. The box it came in said it was for MG5520 printers which is the printer I have.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You might simply have a defective cartridge. One does come along now and then.

First try taking the new cartridge out (Without touching the contacts nor the under-surface of it, lest you damage it, or mark yourself/your clothes with ink.) Then re-seat it in its proper slot in the printer, close up, try the printer again.

Second... well, at that point, you probably need to replace it, but also try turning the machine Off for at least 30 minutes, to cool down and reset.

Let me know how it goes, and what you think. I'll advise you further as needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did try removing it and replacing it. Still said wrong print head. I will cut of the printer for 30 min.

OK.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What if I agree to let you remotely access the printer & you can't fix it, do I still have to pay the $39?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I turned the printer back on. Still said print head incorrect. Tried removing/ replacing the cartridge again. Same message. The cartridge looks like it has ink on 2 of the 5 small gold bars at the bottom. Can it be cleaned?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there something special to do to reset the printer? I just turned it back on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sent you a question at 10:10. Thought you guys were supposed to answer in 30 min. or less. It's 10:58 now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I guess you aren't going to help me since I didn't upgrade to remote access.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You told me to let you know what happened after I turned the printer back on. I let you know, but you haven't responded to me that I can tell.

I'm sorry - I was offline for a while, since I am in the Eastern Time zone.

You don't have to approve remote access. For this sort of problem, it wouldn't be appropriate nor useful, I don't think.

I think you should try another cartridge, if you only put in one cartridge before the problem happened.