Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Xp 400 is only printing pink no other colors any idea

Customer Question

My Xp 400 is only printing pink no other colors any idea what I should do
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I just looked it up it's been sitting it my folks house for a while I checked the where the cartridges go in and I cleaned that and I'm not getting any other colors other than just pink
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried the nozzle check head cleaning head alignment everything seems to be working fine other than I can't get any kind of friend to come out
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today!

If you have already done a print head cleaning and nozzle check, then the cartridges are probably needing to be replaced. They have a shelf life and if they are left unused for a while, the ink dries up and they become unusable.

My suggestion would be to try doing a print head cleaning 2 more times and doing a nozzle check 2 more times. If this does not resolve the issue, then it is definitely a case of just purchasing new cartridges.

This is coming from 15 years of repair and personal use. Let me know if you have any more questions by replying!

With that said, I'd like to ask you kindly to rate my answer with 5 stars or more so that I may receive credit for assisting you, as this is how we are compensated for our time.

Thanks,

Jennie

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is still not printing I can't get some of the paint color and nothing else

Then it's probably time to get some new cartridges in there. I wish I had better news but I'm 99.9% sure that is the case here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just bought the cartridges they are full

Wow. Well, here is what I am going to do. I am going to opt out and give another technician a shot at this. Maybe they would have a little more insight. This is at no cost to you. Good luck! Someone should pick this up directly.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

My apologies for any delay in getting you an appropriate answer. This is not a cartridge problem.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. These printers are not designed for irregular use. They must be used consistently; if they sit idle for more than a week or so, the nozzles dry out and clog up, then when you go to print they overheat and cause permanent damage.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?