Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have mfc-j630w I am having problems with the actual ink

Customer Question

I have mfc-j630w I am having problems with the actual ink cartridge area. Black won't print at all, colors are light but print. When I go thru the menu for ink it say Ratio and the OK is crossed out. I called a certified tech and he says about 168.00 to fix as something inside is clogged. I have tried the cleaning process more than once. No difference. Is there something I can do When I pull cartridges I can see black ink on the area where cartridge and machine meet. can I try to clean that with something?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Brother MFC-J630w Brother
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: cleaning multiple times. not real tech savy so not much else.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.