John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

The problem I am reading about on this web page - my HP PSC

Customer Question

The problem I am reading about on this web page - my HP PSC 2410 has all 4 of its lights constantly flashing and no matter I do (including removing a perfectly good remanufactured black ink cartridge I installed and replacing it with a real HP one), I cannot get the lights to stop flashing. I disconnected the power cord as suggested in a post at the HP website, reconnected, nothing. The popups HP shows from my system do not tell me how to fix it. I don't know what else I can do but I'll listen to anything you suggest. Thank you, ***** ***** offering to help.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is an HP PSC 2410 Photosmart All-in-One printer/fax/scanner/copier. I don't know how old it is. I bought it a few months ago at a local thrift shop and had no issues until the cartridge then in was running low on ink (which it was) and urged me to replace it. If I had to guess its age, my guess is about 10 years.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I think it's an XP Windows Professional Edition PC.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Well, it's been about 2-3 weeks now. By some miracle after playing with trying to fix it about a week and a half ago, I thought I had it working as the lights were off (except the ON button). I printed a document and it worked. Then afterwards it acted up again. I then put my cartridge with little ink back in and it worked but the ink went dry. I then returned to putting my remanufactured cartridge in and the all lights flashing resumed. I then got an HP cartridge, put it in, no luck, all lights flashed.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it, can't think of anything else offhand.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Hey there, i'm Tim. interesting problem, and an old printer. So you replaced the ink with factory ink, and all of the lights are still on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

I don't think the refilled ink caused any problems, and I assume you have unplugged it etc....?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had no idea I was going to go thru all this. For less than $39, I can get a new printer on eBay. That's crazy. Plus paying monthly fees for printer insurance, sorta speak. Uh uh. I'm sending this off and then disconnecting. If I can't find an answer on my own, then I'll order a new one. Bye!
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Well, printers do not normally last more than two years, its a wounder this one even turned on, i'd advise buying a new one....