Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My MFC-J4420DW has gone into "error state". It changed

Customer Question

My MFC-J4420DW has gone into "error state". It changed itself from being in printer mode to being a fax. I never set it up for fax mode. Rebooted printer. No effect. Rebooted computer. No effect. Deleted the fax mode. Reinstalled printer from my printers and try to reinstall my printer. No effect. Help.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Bill Gaul
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: see last message
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: printer is less than 6 months old. am running on windows 10
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you have the printer connected via wifi, or usb?
Do you see any errors/indicators on the printer display itself?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
connected by USB. checked to make sure no one had switched any plugs. still plugged into lpt port 1No error signs or displays on printer screen
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay if you are trying to print, and it keeps coming up to the FAX mode when you print, it is just set to the wrong mode,

go into the windows settings under printers, click on the brother printer entry (not the fax entry) and choose Set As Default.

Let me know if that helps,

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When it switched itself to fax mode it removed the other setting. I tried removing the fax setting and reinstalling the printer from the program installed when we attached the printer. No effect.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes but every time you do that, it is going to come back when you reinstall or reboot, the fax driver is an automatic part of the software package.

You still need to set the main brother usb printer driver as the default printer.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed. If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too, just let me know. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?