John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I'm getting a message that my printer is offline, epson

Customer Question

i'm getting a message that my printer is offline
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: epson stylus sx535wd
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: macbook pro yosemite 10.10.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: off and on for ages. sometimes i can 'solve' it by just turning printer off and on again, sometimes it just randomly prints a job that's been waiting for ages, displaying the messages 'printer is not connected' 'printer is offline'. First experienced this when I moved house, and thought perhaps printer was just too far away from the router, but it's much closer now (we've moved again!) and still getting problems
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'd be interested in a way of connecting to this printer that doesn't use wifi at all. I don't actually require wireless printing. Happy to sit at my desk and plug my laptop into the printer if it avoids all this hassle. There are several other wifi users in the house using the same router
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Step1. unplug the router power and let it sit for 2 mins power it back on and wait another 2 mins to let the router boot up.
step2. Unplug the printer power and follow the same steps as you followed with the router.
The printer must be good to print, let me know if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this did not work at all - same problem persists. As I've already stated - I've tried turning off/on many times already
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.

Please download and install the driver.

Press the Apple menu and Choose System Preferences
Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & fax window, along with a + sign) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.

in case there is no printers in the list then , hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (plus sign that you see on the print & fax window, and not on the keyboard) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
After that click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & fax window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

direct download link: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=0ccCGROWIYMeU002F0hQLmZQ8i12rn3B44VPRl11oMIz+2YU003D&tc=6