Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Will not print. Just replaced cartridges on P 4330. Info

Customer Question

Will not print. Just replaced cartridges on P 4330. Info window says Printer is Busy. Rcognizes black cartridge but not color. HELP ! PLease. Bob Polutchko (###) ###-####
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is about 10 years old but not been used much at all..
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Power cycled, checked catridge installation - removing stickers, etc
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Model # that I mentioned before is again, P4330.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Bob.

Unfortunately this indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?