John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 which I purchased 9/14 after

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 which I purchased 9/14 after a similar one started doing the same thing. It is started making a line down thru paper. Can you tell me what is causing this or what I can do to make it stop.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hey Elanie, I'm Tim. Sorry to hear about your printer problems......printer these days are made pretty poorly as you probably figured out.....this line could be the printhead needing to be cleaned.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Here are the instructions to clean the print head.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Tools, and then touch Tools.

4. Touch Clean Printhead. There are three cleaning stages. A test page (different from the Print Quality Diagnostics page) prints between each cleaning stage. Do not use this test page for analysis. Touch No when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.