Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your printer questions
62924203

My mother's Brother printer had a paper jam. She pulled the

Customer Question

My mother's Brother printer had a paper jam. She pulled the paper out but it won't start again. It continues to give the message that there is a paper jam. I have inspected it and cannot find any paper. Is there a re-set for this code?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I am not sure of the model number. It takes LC201 ink. She bought it last winter, perhaps in January from Office Depot.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I followed the instructions on the electronic face. Checked inside for bits of paper and cannot find any. I unplugged it. It won't allow me to turn it off. When I push the on/off button, the message is "Busy."
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that is all I know.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

ello! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved! I didn't get a model for your printer, so here is some general advice for printers who show a paper jam even though you can't see it. Try these steps out:

1. Open the Printer

2. Remove the paper from the tray

3. Unplug the printer

4. Remove the cartridges if they block your view. Take a light piece of cardboard or card stock paper and push through the rollers to dislodge any paper stuck in them you can't see.

5. Use a flashlight and see if you can find any jammed paper or foreign objects. If you can see something but can't get to it, or even if you have a jam but don't see anything, pick the printer up, face the opening toward the ground and lightly shake it.

6. Using a can of compressed air (you can find these at walmart or the dollar store) and blow out the inside of the printer, along any access doors, and where the paper is fed. This removes bits of paper from places you can't see.

7. WHILE THE PRINTER IS UNPLUGGED, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

8. Now we're ready to setup the printer again. Return the paper to the tray, return the cartridges to the printhead.

9. Very important: Hold down the stop/cancel button. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on WHILE holding down stop/cancel.

10. If the error persists, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I have tried most of these things except holding the power button for 30 seconds.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Many customers have had luck, trying these things in this order. Are you getting the same message? What is the model of the printer and the exact error message?