John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have a xpress C1860FW laser printer. It had a paper jam

Customer Question

Hello. I have a xpress C1860FW laser printer. It had a paper jam whilst printing a large quantity. I did all the usual things,- removed paper from all 3 areas that I can access. I can see no more paper, however, when I try to continue printing, it still comes up with paper jam. It is taking a sheet of paper and depositing it under the paper tray.
I've tried rebooting the whole unit. What can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If paper goes into the unit before it stops, then there may be a sensor switch that is not registering any more, probably in the vicinity of the place where the leading edge of the paper that goes in, stops.

Examine that area carefully, with light, or a mirror if it's hard to see. Let me know what you find. (But don't apply direct light to the interior of the printer for too long. Laser printers' 'drums' can be damaged by too much direct/bright light. For longer than like 1/2 minute per 1/2 hour.)