John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I just got a new modem for my home wireless network, and

Customer Question

I just got a new modem for my home wireless network, and have the same computer (Dell MS10) and same printer, HPLaserJetP1102w, that I had with my previous wireless service. I got the computer connected without problem, but cannot figure out how to set the printer so it is on the new network. can you help?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's about 7 years old. I love it and it has been working fine. A techy from HP installed the software so it was compatible with MS 10 about 4 months ago. THe printer is an HPLaserjet P 1102w, and I really like this printer for my needs. I don't believe I need a new printer.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I downloaded the software again from HP, but there seems to be no category to change the wireless settings that I could find. THey are set appropriately on my computer with the new modem.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope. thank you. THis is all I need
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. During the installation of the downloaded software, did it give you the wireless option / setup option?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not get lobbied or have to pay for this help last time I contacted HP. Please delete my credit card info and confirm that you have done that. This is making me very uncomfortable.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO, I m suspicious about the way this is going. Should have never given out my credit card. Please delete it.

I'm sorry. I'm not affiliated with HP. HP support can be slow, and they usually charge you more, especially if your device is out of warranty. I'm an independent computer tech; I can fix your computer / printer issue quickly right now. If you'd like to fix your printer issue or with any other computer issue, please let me know.

Please let me know if you'd like to continue; we guarantee our service. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hell no. THis was a scam. I thought I was talking to an HP tech and that service has been free. I should have never give you a credit card number and am stopping the charge and will report this to the COnsumer protection division of my state. I feel like this is a trick to get people to sign up for a paid service , with the wording the way it was, and I'm very unhappy and will do everything I can to contact consumer protection agancies to investigate this. Please destroy my credit card into immediately and verify that you have done this. I'll get my help from HP, which is what I thought I was doing.

I'm sorry; you came here and asked me for support, so that's why I'm responding. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. No problem; we are canceling this per your request. If you still need help with this issue later on or with any other computer issue in the future, please come back any time as you wish. we guarantee our service, so you don't have to worry about anything. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can get free tech support at work, and my experience with HP support has always been good, and free, which is what I thought I was getting when you came on. THis is not personal, but it really did seem like a trick, without full disclosure.