Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I recently enrolled in the instant ink program and installed

Customer Question

I recently enrolled in the instant ink program and installed the cartridges several days ago. Since that time, I have received several messages saying the cartridges are not installed correctly. I have tried reinstalling several times. It doesn't usually help. I did not have this problem with HP cartridges purchased at a retail store. ***** *****
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Printer is 2-3 years old. The model is HP Envy 5660 all in one
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried HP Support Assistant and HP Print and Scan Doctor. I am told the cartridges are not installed correctly and to call for help.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That is all, thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.