Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a MG7720 printer bought at Staples less than a year

Customer Question

I have a MG7720 printer bought at Staples less than a year ago. It work properly on plain paper but always smeared ink on gloss photo paper. Now the printer is giving a distress signal about the print head and need of service. I just bought a bunch of ink cartridge for half the price I paid for the printer, I am sure you heard that one before!.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, however any further action you take yourself at this point would only void the warranty that you do have left.

This is not a repairable condition, so you are lucky that it is still in warranty, as the best option here is to file a claim with canon by calling 1-***-***-****.

If outside of the warranty or if canon will not cover it for some reason, it would still not be worth fixing, as repairing this will be $90-200, more than you would pay to buy a brand new and better model with a fresh warranty.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?