GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

My printer acts like it is printing but the paper comes out

Customer Question

My printer acts like it is printing but the paper comes out blank
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 6-8 years, HP b209?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The message says the printer is paused but unsure how to unpause it and have not tried much else
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. Can you tell me please what operating system is on the computer that you are using with this printer? If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. If ink jet printers are not used often the ink in the nozzles can dry up and and cause the nozzles to clog. The print head cleaning function allows you to clear up clogged print head nozzle.

To clean the print head from the HP Photosmart Software

1. Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain white paper into the main input tray.

2. In the HP Solution Center, click Settings.

3. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox. NOTE: You can also open the Printer Toolbox from the Print Properties dialog box. In the Print Properties dialog box, click the Features tab, and then click Printer Services. The Printer Toolbox appears.

4. Click the Device Services tab.

5. Click Clean the printhead.

6. Follow the prompts until you are satisfied with the quality of the output, and then click Done. There are two stages of cleaning. Each stage lasts about two minutes, uses one sheet of paper, and uses an increasing amount of ink. After each stage, review the quality of the printed page. You should only initiate the next phase of cleaning if the print quality is poor. If print quality still seems poor after you complete both stages of cleaning, try aligning the printer. If print quality problems persist after cleaning and aligning, contact HP support.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing happens when I click on Printer Toolbox
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. When you click on Printer Toolbox, the toolbox should open in a separate window.

Follow these steps to run a utility to clean the printhead.

1. Open HP Solution Center:

The HP Solution Center opens in a new window.

2. Click Settings.
  3. In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox opens.
  4. On the Device Services tab, click Clean the Printheads.
  5. Click Clean to begin the process.

NOTE:Mechanical noises during the cleaning process are normal. A test page prints when the cleaning process finishes.

• Sometimes more than one cleaning is required. Repeat this step if improvements are seen in print quality.

If you still can't get it to work, I can offer the PREMIUM SERVICE of a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION. This will allow me to see exactly what is happening on your computer and to work on the problem while you watch. This is completely optional. Please let me know your preference.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For whatever reason, the Printer Toobox does nothing when I click on it. Nothing.Where can I find "Print Properties Dialogue Box" so that I can clean the cleaning heads. I am unable to access the Toolbox through the settings. I see the icon but it does nothing when I click on it.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

You may to download the software update for your printer. You can find it here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-Plus-All-in-One-Printer-series---B209/3777155/model/3777156/drivers#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30B3

The Solution Center from HP because is part of your printer’s full feature software solution.

I do recommend uninstalling your current printer software before installing the new one.

Please let me know the results.