Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

My Epson Printer Workforce WF-3640 is saying Error Code:

Customer Question

My Epson Printer Workforce WF-3640 is saying Error Code: 0x97 - turn off the printer and restart. I have done that 10 times and if it prints the sheet is blank. What to do to get it to print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, JoAnn.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. Luckily, this is a 2014 model, so depending on purchase date you should still be under the epson 1 year warranty, and can file a warranty claim to have them repair it.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with contact info to file a warranty claim at that point if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,