Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers

Message i get.....the type of print head is incorrect,

Customer Question

message i get.....the type of print head is incorrect, install the correct print head.b the printer has been working fine until today...please help...
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: MP640
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything I know which is very little....
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no.... thanks for the help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm sorry about the issue. That error indicates that either the print head is failed/damaged or it got loose. Since this is an hardware issue, I can only give you some solutions which may or may not work. So please don't rate me bad or poor if my solutions doesn't work. The print head is a costly component that is very fragile also. Once it is failed, you will have to replace it, which may cost the price of a current generation printer. Now let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair or replacement.

1. Open the cover of the printer.

2. Remove all ink tanks from the printer.

3. Lift up the gray locking lever on the side of the ink tank holder.

4. Gently remove the print head from the carriage unit.

Now turn off the printer and unplug it for 2 minutes. Then turn it back on and reinstall the print head and cartridges. Again, turn it off for 2 minutes and unplug it. If that didn't work, then please do the following reset

• Turn off the printer and unplug it. Wait 1 minute.
  • Open the cover and turn on the printer
  • Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left/right and let it go past half way.
  • Before print carriage reaches left/right hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover immediately.
  • Leave the Printer turned on. This should bypass the error unless the head is completely failed

Note : Also look carefully inside the printer and the carriage and make sure there are no foreign objets there, like dust, paper pieces, staples etc that obstruct the movement of anything inside the printer.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I did not answer a new printer. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

You're most welcome ! If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent or 5 stars and click Submit at the top of this page. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,