John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

L times the screen on the computer had message of

Customer Question

l times the screen on the computer had message of counterfeit or stolen ink. I reported it to hp customer support but got no response.Two weeks ago I bot two ink cartridges both xl over $100.00 only days later printer is very slow, only prints in black and white. much slower and gave the same message on printer screen about counterfeit ink. I know I only made a small # of color prints and this happened again.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: very disappointed in HP
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: only the report to hp which they ignored
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: don't think so.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem. It must seem quite worrisome.

Is it possible that you bought the XL ink cartridges from a shady supplier?

Ink counterfeiting, odd as it may sound, does exist, in the inkjet printer world. E.g. if your cartridges said 'HP compatible' on the package, then they are refills or remanufactured or otherwise not-genuine-HP-made.

The official HP word on that sort of message is, that if the message does not appear immediately just after you put in the new cartridge(s), then you may simply disregard it.

But I'm not sure what the exact and full error message you see is. Could you please reply (using Reply To Expert) and let me know? I'm not quite sure that I've given you the exact right information on the error message yet, and I'd like to be sure I am advising you accurately.

As for the printer being slow, and not printing in color... those are separate problems, from each other at least. I think we can deal with them separately, for now anyway.

1. no color: does that mean that pictures are printing out in a grayscale or black-and-white version? if so, that might be a setting on the computer. Let me know whether it is printing colors in gray shades, or simply not printing the colors at all.

2. printing slowly: that can be several things. Let me know the basics: is your computer Windows, or Apple? is the printer on a direct USB cable connection, or is it on a wireless connection?