John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

WILL NOT PRINT COLORS WITH NEWLY INSTALLED CYAN AND MAGENTA

Customer Question

WILL NOT PRINT COLORS WITH NEWLY INSTALLED CYAN AND MAGENTA CARTRIDGES PRINTS ONLY YELLOW AND BLACK
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: ABOUT 23WELS NOT QUITE A MONTH WENTAND RETURNED CARTRIDGES AT OFFICE SUPPLY WHERE PURCHASED! GOT NEW ONES
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: CLEANING HEAD OPTION
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I JUST REPLACED BLACK INK ONE IT WAS LOW SHOWED X ON IT !
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I JUST TRIED PRNTNG OF A COUPON NOW AFTER PUTTNG IN A NEW BLACK ONETHAT WAS LOW ! IT DID THE COLORS ON IT! AM GOING TO TRY ANOTHER COLOR PAGE OF SOMETHING IN MY E-MAIL NOW!
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Good morning! My name is***** would be my pleasure to help you with this. When ink jet printers aren't used on a regular basis the inkjet nozzles will sometimes become clogged. I believe that you're on the right track running a cleaning cycle, however, there are different levels of cleaning. Can you tell me please what type of printer you have. Brand and model please?

That's good! That's a sign that the dried ink in the nozzles is softening up. You can try running another cleaning cycle if needed, however please be aware that each cleaning cycle uses a large amount of ink. Some things that you can do prevent this from happening again include printing a document with both black ink and colors, at least once a week. Also, when you are inserting new ink cartridges, please be careful not to touch the metal contacts or circuitry on them or on the printer. If you accidentally touch them and see a fingerprint or smudge, please clean with a lint free cloth and alcohol.

Please let me know the results of your print from your email. Also, once I know the brand and model I can walk you through printing a nozzle check that will print all colors and black and help you to assess print quality.