John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have a Brother MFC-J470DW did test print and said there

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC-J470DW did test print and said there was NO yellow. #2 test pring showed 80 % green and yellow #3 test print hardly any yellow and 30% green #4 test print NO YELLOW AT ALL and only top third green #5 test print STILL NO YELLOW and now no green along the bottom at all but all along top the middle sparse...what is going on???
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: went to store where I bought printer. He said to go home and do cleaning as I haven't used photo color in a while. Come back if it for deep cleanse instructions if doesnt work
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I have had it approximately 6 months I think and the model is above
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Thank you, Let's try a reset procedure for the cartridges. On the left front of the printer there are 2 buttons, one above the other. The top one is the 'on' button. The 'resume' button is the button underneath this. Hold this down for 15/20 seconds, and the printer should recognize the cartridge as full. Please give this a try and let em know the results.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. I am terribly sorry about my initial response. That was a meant for an entirely different question. I can however help you with the problem that you are having.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I apologize but I am experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. I am going to opt out in order to allow another expert to assist you. You will be notified as soon as another expert begins working on the question. Thanks for your patience. Have a great afternoon & weekend!

Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(What the previous expert spoke of, by the way, is true: there is an occasional technical difficulty at present, though it's fairly infrequent. I must apologize for this.)

I have a cleaning procedure that may help stabilize the apparent 'sputtering' of the ink cartridge / color function.

In outline:

1. Clean the (color or Yellow) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether colored ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)