Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Canon PIXMA MP600 and before there was an

Customer Question

I have a Canon PIXMA MP600 and before there was an electrical blowout on my Surprise Valley Electrical Corp. service, I had an App(site) on my desktop that I could just click and get print, scan or other types of printing and now that my PC has been replaced, I only have access to the printing ability through my PC, not through the Canon Printer itself. What do you suppose happened? Is my whole printer no good?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Anne.

Unfortunately this printer is not officially supported in windows 10.

This printer was discontinued many years ago and is no longer supported in any form. Canon will not be releasing a windows 10 driver.

You can attempt to use the older win7 driver, but will have limited functionality at best (draft quality black prints only, no scanning, no advanced options, etc). Even the win 7 drivers are no longer available for download however. Unless you have a saved copy from a prior install, your next best option is to try to let windows auto detect the printer and select a suitable built in driver, though windows is not supporting these either.

Realistically replacement of the printer will be the only practical option here, unless you want to roll back to a prior version of windows, as there is no current or future support planned for these machines, and this is an 11 year old printer model that was designed for a maximum service life of only 3 years. Even if you could get it working for now, it is so far past its service life that components like the printhead and absorber system will be expected to fail any day now, and ultimately require replacement anyway.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subisized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,