Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My epson workforce 2650 does not recognize a new black 220

Customer Question

My epson workforce 2650 does not recognize a new black 220 cartridge. I cleaned the heads, removed and reinserted the cartridge, and went thru cleaning/maintenance functions. I replaced the cartridge when the printer stopped using black ink, thinking it ran out. What would you advise?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

If you hadnt already replaced the ink cartridge, I would say that this is either a cartridge issue, or a printhead issue. Since you have already replaced the cartridge, then its most likely a printhead issue.

Question, when you cleaned the printhead. Did you remove the black cartridge and manually clean the electrical contact inside the printer / printhead that actually reads the black cartridge?

If not, id clean the contacts that read the black cartridge. And then, if the machine still says the black ink tank cant be detected, then the head has failed or is clogged. If its only clogged, t hen a cleaning solution kit like this may help you unclog the black portion of the printhead. http://amzn.to/2aYxQyU

If cleaning doesnt work, The printhead in that unit is non user replaceable, which means you have to buy a new printer. I always recommend printers with a replaceable head. For Instance, this Canon model is one that I avidly support. It has a replaceable head, all the standard wireless and smartphone printing features, and if y ou have to replace the head its one of the least expensive heads you can purchase, usually around 20$. This means the printer will last until the gears and rollers wear out ( which are replaceable too) http://amzn.to/2aZbC63

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.