JKalman
JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

What do I need to make my Canon Pixma MX330 wireless,

Customer Question

What do I need to make my Canon Pixma MX330 wireless, instead of hooking it up by a cable to my MAC?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I'd guess it's about 4 years old or so.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Or is there another printer/scanner that is compatible with my MAC?
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope, just those two questions. The printer came without a cable, so I had to purchase it; that it came without the needed supply was quite disappointing...
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mac desktop with OSX El Capitan version 10.11.5
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The printer came with my first MAC, but this MAC is new as of 2014.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
currently the printer is connected with a cable.
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

It is not difficult to connect your printer wirelessly. It is just a matter of reinstalling your printer drivers with a wireless connection. You will need the cable to first connect your printer to the wireless network, Then the cable is removed to install the drivers and connect them to your printer through the wireless network.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to change a setting, since it's already been connecting and been working with the cable connection, right?
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

It is more than just changing a setting. In your Printers window you have a print server icon for your usb connected printer. We will install another print server icon for the same printer connected wirelessly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I do that? From my settings/finder?
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Go to the Apple Icon > System Preferences> Printer Preferences to open the Printer window on a Mac.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got printers and scanners opened
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Are you going to be installing the printer drivers from a CD or DVD?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure I have them anymore, if I ever had them...
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

No worries. WE can download in install them from the internet. How did you do it last time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will look for them but if I have the CD, it's in a box I packed up last week, because we are moving things around in my home office.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I download them from the internet?
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

No worries. We can download in install them from the internet. Here is a link to the website:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx330?tab=drivers

Since there is no new driver for OSX 10.11 El Capitan, please select these drivers for OSC 10.10 Yosemite:

MX330 series Scanner Driver Ver. 14.11.4a (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are 2: MX330 series Scanner Driver Ver. 14.11.4a (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)
and also MX330 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 11.7.1.0 (OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Do not select CUPS drivers.

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Have your printer turned on with the screen active and the usb cable connected before you begin. During the first part of the process you will need to enter the name of your wifi network and the password. During the second part you will need to select the Wireless connection method.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
downloading the first one.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Says waiting for other installations to complete...
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

You can take care of that by restarting your computer. To return to this conversation, select the link in your latest notification email from ust Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seems to be stuck in that "waiting for other installations to complete...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay, will restart.
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Roger that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Restarted, and it said installation successful, finally!
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

How is it working now?

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I was taking a break.

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

I was on my break when you came back online. Are you able to print wirelessly now?

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
where do I enter the wifi network and password? And do I need a bluetooth usb even though the cable is still in?
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Bluetooth is a completely different protocol and is not involved in any way with your wireless network. The cable that is still in use is the usb cable. You did not get a chance to select your wifi network name (SSID) and enter the password (Network Security Key and then remove the cable and do a wireless installation of the drivers, because I was mistaken. I thought that the driver package would include a utility to connect your printer to your wifi network. I apologize for the inconvenience.

It may be possible to connect your printer to your wireless network by using your printer control panel, if you can find a Network button or menu. We can work on it tomorrow or Friday

I will be away in the afternoon and evening on Thursday, but we may be able to work on it in the morning or late night. Otherwise, I will be available anytime Friday, if that works for you.

Best regards,

Joel

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will be on for a while now, and then probably late night Friday night. During the day, I cannot, since I will be at work.
I am not sure where my printer control panel is on the printer, but I see a "printers and scanners" section in my system preferences.
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Roger that. I'll be looking for you later tonight then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm around...
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

I haven't been feeling well tonight. I apologize for not being online earlier. I don't know if you still want to do it tonight, or if you want to wait until tomorrow.

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

It is quite late to start anything new. Let's do this tomorrow or Sunday. Dis you get the Ethernet cable?

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I have been reviewing your printer documentation for detailed instructions on setting the internet protocol (IP) parameters to connect to your local area network (LAN) using an Ethernet cable. Finding none, I recall now that your printer may not be Ethernet ready. Early models of the Canon MX330 printer did not have an Ethernet port built-in. hey had an Ethernet card slot which could accommodate an external Ethernet card purchased separately as an accessory. The technology has changed, and it may not be possible to get an Ethernet card for your printer if your printer does not have an Ethernet port. I do not know if Canon will supply them anymore.

Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

You have said that there is a wireless network in your office that is faster than the one in your house. My recommendation is that you leave the MX330 printer connected directly to the house computer by the USB cable and purchase another printer for your office. You can connect it wirelessly or by Ethernet cable to the modem or router there, and you will be able to connect your MacBook to it wirelessly. Modern printers are not expensive, they offer higher performance, and you will not have to walk from the office to the house to get your print jobs.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, thanks for the tips. I will consider getting a new printer...which I was going to think about anyway.
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome. I am glad Thai could help. You can check the back of your MX330 printer to see if it as an Ethernet port or not, but either way, it would be a good idea for you to get a new printer for your office.