John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an Epson Perfection 1670 that I can't get to work on

Customer Question

I have an Epson Perfection 1670 that I can't get to work on my new computer system. I am now running windows 7 on HP Probook4430s. I have downloaded what I think is the right driver from the Epson site. When I run EPSON Scan it starts then stops. LED on scanner is blinking red most of the time. How can I tell if I have a hw problem or if the driver is just wrong?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I look forward to helping you today. The file you mentioned is the correct driver application. My I ask if the application installs correctly or are you given errors?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason,The installation looks ok. When I click on the EPSON Scan icon it looks like it is going to start (I get a little splash screen) and then it just silently exits.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I uninstalled the program and have not yet tried to download a new copy and start over.

Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can fix this problem for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's not urgent enough to warrant the price tag.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a way to tell if the scanner has a hardware problem or if it's just a driver issue? The scanner worked previously on an XP system.

You have the correct driver for your system, so it is not a driver issue. It may be a problem with the configuration. When you plug in the device into the computer via the usb cable, does the computer recognize the device?

I am sorry to hear that the problem doesn't warrant the price. I don't work for free. If I did, I would most definitely spend more time working on this with you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't expect you to work for free. I am confident in your professionalism and competence. I will be paying the amount that was set when I originally sent in the request and possibly more. Anyway, when I plug in the device I get the beeps that tell me that a device has been recognized. When I check in device manager, all looks good and operational.

Being that it is working properly in the Device Manager, the scanner should work. Have you tried using other scanning utilities to test it?