Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson stylus NX625. Bought new ink cartridges at

Customer Question

I have an Epson stylus NX625. Bought new ink cartridges at Office Depot and installed them. Got an error message that said cartridges were not recognized. They were the exact same cartridges I took out. What do I need to do now?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Larry.

Are you using genuine epson cartridges, or are they the office depot brand generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using Epson ink cartridges for the replacements
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, Larry.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did the things you suggested and the error message is still there.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

you can repeat the steps above to be safe, but beyond that, it would confirm a hardware fault, meaning a defective printhead.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about 1505; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.