Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

I have a MFC-9970CDW that has been working well for two

Customer Question

Hi I have a MFC-9970CDW that has been working well for two years. I changed the toner cartridge because it was leaking toner. I reassembled everything and now the LCD just says printing, printing, printing. I have cancelled all print jobs, did factory network reset, updated firmware, unplugged it, etc. The error message that the drum and belt unit had reached end of life had been coming up and it was still working but I reset parts counter and also traded belt and drum unit from a twin printer we have and that still did not fix it. Even the fax function does not work unless you open the front door then you can send/receive but it will not print. Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi Dan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are applying for a refund since nobody could answer our question

Sorry for the delay, my previous reply appears not to have gone through...

Are you connected to the printer by USB, LAN, or wifi?

Can you try a different connection method and let me know if it works?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer is a network printer connected via a LAN connection. We have disconnected the network cable and shut the printer down and restarted and still says printing, printing. However if I connect the network printer and go to internet explorer and access the printer web page (by IP #) the status on the webpage says “READY”It seems to me there must be a sensor or switch somewhere internal to the printer that detects when the printer is printing and shuts off all other functions. This sensor thinks it is printing. It all started when I changed cartridges and used shop vac to remove the toner the cartridge had leaked out into the printer. If I open the front door – I can scan and fax. As soon as I close the door it goes through it’s normal cycle of running the rollers and whatever else the normal warm up cycle includes and then it goes to printing, printing on the screen.The fact that I was able to update firmware, etc leads me to believe it is a hardware issue rather than a software glitch.

This may be a network interface problem, and could be difficult to troubleshoot.

To rule out a hardware fault with the printer itself, let me know if you can print to it when connected using a USB cable?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just to let you know how this ended…I hired a local company ( to come take a look at this and he walked in and it took him less than 10min to fix my problem.
He said “O that is a stuck print job” - turn the machine off, hold Stop/Exit key down and power the machine back on while holding that key down. After machine is powered up - release the stop/exit key”It cleared the printing, printing message and has been working great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please refund our payment

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

For refunds you will need to contact customer services.