Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

It's not sensing the paper size, Are you live? Cannon MF

Customer Question

It's not sensing the paper size
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Are you live?
JA: No. I'm the Printer Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Cannon MF 6100
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Checked for jams, but the printer will make copies
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged guide rails, out of place toner/drum, etc) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully for any obstructions. Next remove the toner/drum assembly and clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nathan,The machine makes a copy with no problem. It's only giving me an error when I try to print from the PC saying that there's "No Paper: LTR Plain"
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Oh thank you for clarifying,

that can be a printer setting, or a driver issue.

Remove the paper from the printer, and reinsert still.

The printer should prompt you to tell it what paper is inserted, and you need to set it to letter size paper.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done that already. Also, I verified the settings on the driver are correct.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

and you never get any errors when making copies?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it copies just fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?