John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Copier produces heavy black streaks, Hasn't been usable for

Customer Question

Copier produces heavy black streaks
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Hasn't been usable for three weeks. Printer is fine
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: DCP8040 several years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Cleaning
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When there are black streaks on photocopies, there are several causes, and several possible cures. These cures vary from the less expensive, to the more expensive and difficult. I hope the cure for your copier's problems is the less expensive type.

Tell me please: do you do photocopies from both the document feeder, and from the glass sheet? if not both, try the type that you do not normally use, and see if the black streaks are evident on photocopies made that way also.

And let me know, please, by Reply To Expert, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
horizopntal streaks from both feeder and flat bed
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
heavy horizontal stripes from both feeder and flat bed. Printer works fine

Horizontal streaks meaning, across the pages rather than along them?

And also, do you print to this machine from a computer, ever? if so, do the black streaks show up then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
heavy horizontal stripes from copier, however used, printer attached to computer works fine

That is unfortunately an indication that the scanner, or the light-sensing part in the scanner, has a problem. The problem is not mild, and will require that the printer be service-repaired, I'm sorry to have to say.

If the problem had only shown up when the feeder was used, or if the computer-to-printer results had streaking also, repair-servicing would not have been needed.

Would you be interested in the location of a nearby choice of Brother Authorized Service Centers that you could take the Brother machine to for this repair? if so, please reply with your local zip code, and I will give you the listings for them.