Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

Have canon mg 5420 printer. Just replaced all cartridges.

Customer Question

have canon mg 5420 printer. Just replaced all cartridges. won't recognize magenta. Error code 1660. How can I fix
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: never done this. 2 years old. Not used a lot, but has always worked til now
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: unplugging, resetting - did not work
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sadique. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Does the orange light blinks 4 times?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No blinking at all. All other cartridges are solid red/orange

It indicates it has not been seated properly. Please remove the Magenta cartridge and clean the area where it sits and check that the cartridge is securely positioned and adjust if necessary.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that several times. cleaned head of cartridge as well.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not want to remotely connect.

Okay, the remote service is an AD. Please ignore it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
any suggestions? I've looked on line, watched tutorials. this just happend out of the the blue

Ink cartridges cannot be detected error means that either a cartridge is not clicked in correctly, the chip is dirty, faulty, or the chip contacts (in printer) are damaged.
As you have already tried cleaning the area where the cartridge sits it indicates the chip contact is damaged.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I fix that

Remove the Magenta cartridge and inspect the chip contacts (in printer). Canon printers use a series of thin gold plated wire contacts that the cartridge chip slides and presses against - when cartridge is installed. These contacts can corrode, or stick to the chip, particularly if they ever had any ink contamination. The wires can sometimes bend, or even get pulled out - with cartridge, when it is removed. If this is the case, there may not be that much you can do to fix it, other than getting the printer serviced.

Note: If you can find the missing wire contact and it's not damaged, sometimes it's possible to push it back in it's slot. It's fiddly and you need careful vision, but it can be done. Be careful not to bend it or damage something else in the process.

If all the wire contacts appear fine, try cleaning them with damp cotton bud or similar until they're all spotless. Please unplug the power cord any time you're working on the chip contacts, to prevent further printer problems. When finished, install all cartridges back in printer, plug the power cord back in, turn the printer power on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do you get inside to look. I raised printer cover but it is tight

I know it's difficult but you can try using a flash light. Else the printer has to be disassembled completely.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks!

Keep me posted!