Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Just installed new printhead and am getting printhead error

Customer Question

just installed new printhead and am getting printhead error message
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: s405 8 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: don't know how to clear error message after installing new printhead
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Can you tell me, which printhead you have replaced ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its on an s405 with new cartidges and new printhead
it says p302
on the box it came in
now it says printhead not supported by all in one
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I am checking the printhead number for your printer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no secure remote assistance just paid $5 to get this fixed
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

The printhead number for your printer Lexmark 100 not P302. from where do you have bought this printhead ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it says interpret s405 model
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is the same as the old one
printhead
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I am out of ideas at this point, I will open the question for other experts.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead or the logic board that controls it. If you've replaced the head once already, that would point to the logic board having failed, though these printheads are all old stock and often bad right out of the box too.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead again, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. I would also seek to return that newly purchased printhead, that alone will pay for a new machine.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?