John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Replaced black ink cartridge, printing only bottom of

Customer Question

Replaced black ink cartridge, printing only bottom of letters in black, have cleaned nozzle heads at least 5 times, still not printing top half of letters
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Wf2540. Using 200xl cartridges
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Cleaning nozzle heads multiple times, quip with alcohol to clean where black ink goes
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That seems to be a problem with an Epson printer.

1: you may simply have a defective black cartridge.

2: it may have been put in a little wrong, a little loose, that sort of thing. Take it out briefly, being careful not to touch the copper-colored contacts on one side, nor the inky underside, which would ruin the cartridge most likely - or your clothes - and then put it back in its slot, firmly. Try it again and run a nozzle cleaning at least once before concluding that the cartridge is defective and

3: ...putting another black cartridge into the printer - being careful to do so without touching the underside nor the copper-colored contacts on one side!

Let me know how it goes, what you think, and what happens, please: use the Reply To Expert function to respond with news.