Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Cannon MG3220 that has stopped printing. In the

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Cannon MG3220 that has stopped printing. In the display screen, it shows a triangle with a lightning bolt, and a "0" and "2" flash back and forth. the printer ink are both newly refilled and they were performing w/o an issue for many days. Not now. I've checked the paper feeder from behind the unit. Unplugged it several times. None of it has worked. Help! My name is Ali.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Cannon Pixma MG3220. It's at least three to four years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Did you see my initial note? Paper checked. Ink is newly refilled, feeder is w/o any debris. Computer ran a diagnostic check and what they suggested to check (everything I just listed) didn't work
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. That's all I have
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?